LAUREN J. DOYEL, GE
- Geotechnical Engineer, California, GE#2981
- Professional Engineer (Civil), California, CE#61337
- MS, Civil Engineering (Geotechnical), San Jose State – 1998
- BS, Environmental Earth Sciences, Stanford – 1984
- Stanford Geological Survey, Ely, Nevada – 1983
- HUET/Marine Safety, Certified, Slope Inclinometer Interpretation and Data Reduction
- GeoDynamics, Inc., Thousand Oaks, Affiliate, present.
- Exponent, Inc., Los Angeles, Managing Engineer, 2017-2018
- Leighton Consulting, Inc., Santa Clarita, Principal Engineer, 2012-2017
- Fugro West, Inc., Associate, 2007-2012
- BTC Laboratory, Chief Engineer – 2006
- Fugro West, Inc., Senior Project Engineer, 2004-2005
- Bing Yen & Associates, Inc., Project Engineer,1999-2001
- Richard Meehan Associates, Inc., Senior Project Engineer, 1985-1999
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE), Member
Ms. Doyel brings over 30 years of experience in geologic and geotechnical studies for land development, infrastructure, and construction projects in southern California, working across all service lines including onshore and offshore geotechnical, municipal services, marine survey, construction, and forensics. Recently, she has provided geotechnical engineering consultation and forensic investigation/evaluation of and expert reports for: construction failures and accidents, residential damage due to fires, earth movement, pipeline failures, floods, and gas explosions. Clients include law firms, insurance companies and utility companies. Recent failures evaluated include Montecito mudflows, the La Tuna, Creek, Thomas and Skirball Fires, and backfill and pavement failures related to gas pipelines.
She has provided technical evaluation and design studies for a variety of onshore and coastal geotechnical infrastructure projects, and geotechnical oversight of construction for federal, state and local governments, universities, school districts, utilities and private parties. She is adept at pursuing, winning and managing both large and small project contracts, as well as on-call contracts due to her ability to identify key relationships, critical project elements, and provide project approaches that stand out.
Ms. Doyel’s skills include project planning, execution and management of geotechnical studies for a variety of structures and clients, geotechnical site characterization, proposal creation and presentation, scopes of work, and budgets for new projects; technical report preparation and review of; engineering analyses for foundation design, slope stability and seismic hazards; construction phase support services, including review of construction plans; forensic analysis of construction and slope failures; and mentoring staff engineers and technicians in basic engineering procedures and techniques. She is a practiced public speaker before both technical and non-technical audiences, from City Councils to Homeowner Associations. Her proposal presentation skills, individually and as part of a team, have often been noted by clients as a factor in award. She recently co-presented an online webinar “Ground Failures and Other Ground-Water Related Property Damage” as part of the Lorman Technical training program (http://www.lorman.com/training/water-law/ground-failures-and-water-related-construction-losses).
She has focused on public works infrastructure since 1999, from project planning and design studies through construction, and in the last 5 years she has also managed private land development projects. In addition to her roles as project engineer and manager, she has excelled as principal geotechnical and coastal engineering peer reviewer for the City of Malibu, geotechnical laboratory manager, DSA Engineer of Record, and engineering group manager. Her specialties include large project single point responsibility for integrated geotechnical services for projects from planning and design through construction phase, management of construction observation and testing services, marine and fresh water environmental and geotechnical engineering site characterization studies for dredging, coastal and geotechnical peer review of land and coastal development, and forensic project studies.
- Geotechnical Engineering Peer Reviewer, Cities of Malibu (1999-2012), Agoura Hills (1999-2004), Simi Valley (1999-2004), Santa Monica (2001-2004), Hidden Hills, CA (1999-2004), County of Ventura (1999-2004).
- Coastal Engineering Peer Reviewer, Cities of Malibu, CA (2000-2012), Dana Point, CA (2000-2004), County of Santa Barbara (2018).
Forensic Evaluations (select)
- Montecito Mudflows, Multiple Insurers Damage Assessment Team, (2018)
- Ladera Elementary School slope failure, Conejo Valley USD (2017).
- Westlake High School erosion and slope evaluation, Conejo Valley USD (2016).
- Potrero Canyon Park Slope Evaluation and Landslide #8 Repair, Pacific Palisades, CA (2014).
- Rambla Pacifico Emergency Access road Restoration, City of Malibu, CA.
- Calle Del Barco and La Costa Landslides, Malibu, CA.
- Love Creek Landslide, Ben Lomond, CA.
- Oddstad Boulevard debris flow, Pacifica, CA.
- Abalone Cove Landslide Technical Panel, Rancho Palo Verdes, CA.
- Big Rock Mesa Landslide, Los Angeles, CA.
- Flying Triangle Landslide, Rancho Palos Verdes, CA.